En Español

BrightStars resources: Find health, education, child care, and other resources to support your child’s growth and development


Find health, education, child care, and other resources to support your child’s growth and development.

Licensing and Investigation

(DCYF) Child Care Licensing Unit
If you have a complaint about a child care or early learning program licensed by the Department of Children, Youth and Families, you may call their Day Care Licensing Unit. 401-528-3624 or 401-528-3621.

Child Abuse Hotline
A 24-hour hotline specializing in the investigation of child abuse and neglect cases. 1-800-RI-CHILD www.dcyf.ri.gov.

Child Care and Food Assistance

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)
The RI Department of Human Services (DHS) helps eligible working families pay for child care for children/youth up to age 12. 401-462-5300.

RIte Care
Rhode Island’s Medicaid managed care program for families on the RI Works Program and eligible uninsured pregnant women, children, and parents. 401-462-5300

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) can help individuals and families buy food. 1-866-306-0270.

Provides an array of support for families including breastfeeding support and promotion, referrals to needed medical and social services, and assessment of client nutritional status. WIC also provides checks for healthy foods.

Child Development

Developmental Milestones
Provides families and caregivers with information about these major milestones and ways to keep track of children’s development over time.

Child Outreach Developmental Screening
For children ages three to five, developmental screening is conducted by the local school district’s Child Outreach program. Find out more about what a developmental screening looks like and where to find a Child Outreach provider if needed.

Early Intervention
Provides early identification, services and support to children 0 to 3 years old who have a developmental disability or delay in one or more areas.

Exceed represents the commitment of Rhode Island’s early learning community to help ensure that all of our young children have the opportunity to soar. Visit exceed.ri.gov to search for early care and education programs and to learn more about how you can support your child’s learning and development.

Family Activities

(RIELDS) Fun Family Activities
Provides parents and caregivers with information on enjoyable, fun ways to support the development and learning of their children while at home.

Fun Family Activities Card Parent Training
Fun Family Activities parent training is available throughout Rhode Island.


Providence After School Alliance (PASA)
A citywide intermediary that expands and improves quality afterschool and summer learning programs. High-quality initiatives offered for middle school youth (the AfterZone) and for high school youth (the Hub).

Rhode Island Afterschool Plus Alliance (RIASPA)
Works diligently in the policy, public awareness, and quality improvement arenas to advance the work and quality of afterschool/out-of-school time programs across Rhode Island. Web site offers searchable maps of afterschool and summer learning programs.

Health and Nutrition

American Academy of Pediatrics
An organization of pediatricians dedicated to the health, and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and young adults.

A website from the American Academy of Pediatrics that Provides resources and information for parents.

Kids Eat Right
Health and nutrition information designed to bring families together for nutritious meals each day and help children grow healthy.

Other Resources

Parent Support Network of Rhode Island
Supports families with children, youth, and young adults who experience or are at risk for serious behavioral, emotional, and/or mental health challenges.

Rhode Island Parent Information Network
Provides information, support, and training to help all Rhode Islanders become their best advocate at school, in healthcare and in all areas.

United Way 2-1-1 of Rhode Island
A 24-hour hotline that connects you to the services or information you need such as food assistance, health assistance, home/shelter assistance, aging and disability services, and any other kind of community service.